Saturday, December 23, 2006

From Charlie's Mom - A Sad Day

I write with a very heavy heart today that Charlie went to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. I think he had been struggling for the past few weeks and we had an appointment with Dr. J earlier this week. We knew he was failing, but decided to wait until after the holidays were over before we made a definite decision. But then fate, as it always does, decided to take control of the situation. Charlie started sneezing and coughing up blood last night and we knew it was time. So, yesterday Charlie had an appointment with the vet (sadly, Dr. J wasn't available) and he went to the bridge to wait for us.

I have never in my life felt as sad as I do today. The house is so empty, remarkably so, considering he was only 8 pounds! I'm trying to work tonight, but can hardly see to type through the tears, and when I pass the little room where he slept for the past 15 months, the grief is totally overwhelming. The hardest thing to bear is that I know Charlie wasn't ready to go. When we were in the office waiting for Dr. S to come in, Charlie was actually crying tears. They were running down his face and I had to wipe them away with a tissue as I did my own. He knew he was loved and he was happy, but unfortunately his abused, battered little body couldn't take any more.

I look forward to the day when Charlie, Oscar, Schanpps, and all my other furbabies that go to the bridge before I do will be reunited. I know this will happen as surely as I know the sun will rise tomorrow, but not matter how long it takes it will be too long. Steve and I are both just devastated by the loss.

For anyone who ever knew Charlie or ever had any contact with him, you know he was one special dog with a presence about him that was just a joy to be around. He was so happy to be finally released from the prison of the puppy mill and I know he thanks Sonja and Grandma Judy in helping him find his way home to us. We're so thankful to everyone who ever had any contact with Charlie and to all of Charlie's Angels for being there for him and us. He will live forever in all our hearts.

If for some reason you have never been to Charlie's blog before and are touched by his story please, please make a committment to never, ever buy a puppy or a kitten from a pet store. The puppy mills would have a hard time staying in business if they weren't supported by pet stores. Please consider adopting a rescue dog or cat if you're looking for a new pet, there are too many dogs looking for homes to have any excuse to breed a dog or cat just to have a puppy or kitten. Senior dogs need love too, as do dogs with handicaps. And please, please, spay or neuter your pets. Do it for the love of Charlie.

We miss you little man. We'll see you again.

Love, Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so afraid when there were no posts from Charlie that he may be sick..I write this with a heavy heart and I cry genuine tears today with you on the passing of Charlie..I may have only known Charlie through this blog..But I loved him..We have a minature dachshund and I do not understand how anyone can be mean to these little things..They are so full of love..I am so angry over how Charlie was treated in his short little life..I know Charlie and his story will be with me the rest of my life..Love and hugs to you all at this very sad time..I care..

Mindi said...

Thank you so much for you kind words. It's good to know that he touched your life too.

Mindi